Sunday, February 8, 2009

God Gave Us You

I was reading a story to Lily the other day and got a little tearful. The book is God Gave Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren. The story is about a bear cub asking his Mama where he came from. At one point Mama bear tells her baby "your papa talked to you and sang to you...he wanted you to be born knowing his voice." I felt sad that Lily has never heard her Daddy talk to her or sing to her. As the story continues the baby asks, "Umm, Mama? I was wondering...Did you ever want a different baby? One like Samuel the seal or Fredrika the fox?"

"Never," Mama said. "Never, ever, ever. Your papa and I wouldn't trade you for the world."

"Why?" Little Cub asked.

"Why? Because God gave us you."

As I was reading this part to her tears started streaming down my face. I never expected my baby to have any problems. I most certainly never dreamed she would be deaf. But as I read this part of the story, I realized that I would never want a different baby. Her daddy and I love her just the was she is, and we wouldn't trade her for the world. We are blessed that God has given her to us.

4 comments:

  1. Lily is such a precious baby. I am also blessed to get to spend each week day with her. I often used to wonder, when Mark and I had trouble for so many years concieving and the thoughts of possibly adopting came to me- could I love a child that was not my biological child? That question has undoubtably been answered as I babysit for Lily- YES! I love her so much and would do anything for her. I love her just as much as Paul and "A". The rest of the family loves her so much also. I can't wait to watch her grow into the woman God plans for her to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! What a great story! It's awesome that you're reading to Lily!

    Give her hearing aids time. Remember, it's like she has newborn ears right now. They told us that Aiden wouldn't get any benefit from his aids, but he definitely proved them wrong! We never gave up hope and gave him constant auditory input. Now, not all babies do have responses from their aids, but no matter what, those aids are stimulating the auditory nerves and that's so important! You're doing such a great job!

    Thank you for sharing your journey! I look forward to following it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! I need to get my hands on that one! Like Tammy said, the aids might prove beneficial, or, like with Lucas, maybe not, but don't give up hope! I'm looking forward to following Lily's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, that story would make me cry!! I have to tell you, that the other day I was talking to Pam Roberts, and you popped into my head. Ironically, it was your B-Day! I told her about Lily. You know the very first thing she said? "Oh my gosh, how lucky is Lily to have a Mom like Megan!" That is EXACTLY what I think too!! Grieving our children's disabilities doesn't just end, it is an acceptance and doing everything in our power to help them. You are doing exactly just that, and so Lily is such a blessed child, God's perfect little gift.

    ReplyDelete